Guide to Accommodation in France

Finding accommodation in France as a student will have many doubts that are bounded with questions, where and how to start the enquiry? France is very well occupied with accommodation facilities. But you have to need a guarantor for that. A guarantor is someone who provides security on behalf. That is someone who agrees to pay rent at the time you couldn’t. Your university or college may provide a rent guarantor scheme. If it’s available you can apply for it. Otherwise, you can check for the service provided by VISALE. They are providing free service and giving access to a guarantor depending on your monthly rent. 

Choosing a room or apartment have choices for you in between a publically owned building or a private one and in between a student residence or an apartment. Your search regarding housing should be done early so that you won’t have to be in rush at the time you arrive. Even if you get a temporary one to live accept that so that you will have somewhere to sleep and store your things in the first few months. Because it will take time to find a permanent place. Make it clear about the hostel facilities at your educational institution. It’s important because some institutions maintain a system for connecting their students with housing providers. There are two basic forms of housing for students in France.

  • Students residents and hostels:- There are several advantages for this housing because it is specifically designed for students or young people. The benefits include lower rents, furnished rooms and built-in social life.
  • Rooms and apartments rented on the real-estate market:- This is done by an agency or directly by the property owner. Those who choose this option share space with other students or a rent room in a local household.

CROUS (Centres régionaux des œuvres universitaires et scolaires) is publicly owned and subsidized by the French government. It’s the residents managed by France regional centers for student service. The first choice for many students is CROUS Buildings. The main advantage is they offer a low monthly rate, that is £400 in Paris and £200 on average elsewhere. And the buildings are close to campus. The only drawback is it’s difficult to get CROUS rooms because it is highly demanded and always get filled soon. If you are not able to get a room through CROUS, then there are privately-owned student buildings. The rents are often higher than CROUS. The advantage of this housing is group life, furnished room, Internet, gym, laundry facilities, etc.

Hostels for students or youth, it’s mostly for people between the ages of 18 to 25. The main advantages of these rooms are less expensive than a private residence. Amount £500 to pay in Paris and £250 elsewhere.

Documents that you needed for housing are:-

♦ Your ID card

♦Your residency permit if you are in France on a non-resident visa

♦Your student card & proof of enrollment for the current year.

♦A letter from your guarantor & proof of the guarantor’s identity

♦ Housing Insurance with Civil Liability

 Accommodation in France is not a big deal. You can find one easily but have to search properly. Thus we are here to guide you and take you on the right path. We wishing you the best of luck with your career building in France.